Welcome!

This blog features the adventures of 2014 Miss Rodeo Wyoming, Desiree Bridges. Desiree will keep us up to date with photos and stories from her travels down rodeo road as she represents and promotes wonderful Wyoming and America's #1 Sport!


Monday, May 31, 2010

Old West Days, Jackson Hole Wyoming






Dear Wyoming,

Happy Memorial Day!! To me, this holiday has meant the beginning of summer… and we almost always kick it off with a lovely spring snowstorm! This year was no different, although this time it didn’t last long! I spent the weekend in Jackson for the Old West Days with a parade in downtown Jackson Hole and the start of the Jackson Hole Rodeo, which runs every Wednesday and Saturday throughout the summer.

My weekend started with a radio interview on Thursday morning with our local country station Q102. I was able to call into the station, which was nice because I was able to stay in my muck boots and chore jacket, as I sat in my truck in the driveway. I was excited to promote Old West Days in Jackson!

The festivities began on Saturday morning for the Old West Days Parade. The night before the parade, I took a walk down memory lane as I looked through old pictures of me at the Old West Days Parade. It was cool to see how far I’ve come as a young lady, and rodeo queen but also to see the underlying theme, chilly weather!

I enjoyed seeing the friendly faces of the Teton County Fair and Rodeo Queen Court-- Queen, Desiree Bridges, Senior Princess, Kayla Key, Junior Princess, Madison Wilkerson, PeeWee Princess, Jordan Bauer. We braved the chilly Jackson weather as we paraded downtown in the last horse-drawn parade in America! This means that they focus more on horses in the parade and they don’t allow vehicles that are newer than 1960. It was great seeing hometown faces and it was a little surreal as they announced my name as Miss Rodeo Wyoming, a dream that I’ve had since the my first Old West Days Parade! A big thanks to Desiree Bridges for providing a horse for me for the parade!

It’s been a long-standing tradition for my family to climb Snow King after the OWD Parade. Snow King is a one of the big mountains that makes up Jackson’s Hole and the trail to the top is approximately 2.3 miles! It is a ski hill in the winter and a nice hiking trail in the summer. Those of you who know me and how much I love a challenging workout, can see me running up the trail, queen hair and all!! (It’s true! I’ve done it for the last few years!) But unfortunately, my mom injured her knee and my uncle and cousins backed out because of the weather, so I gave into peer pressure and decided not to make the trip solo.

We were able to visit with some good family friends, the Fuchs family and we had a barbeque until the rodeo. AJ Fuchs, the 2009 National High School All Around Cowboy, let me borrow his new heading horse to carry the American Flag at the rodeo! What a nice horse! We had a special grand entry in honor of Memorial Day and I was humbled to bring the huge flag into the arena! I had a blast at the rodeo teaming up with Desiree Bridges to visit fans in the stands and sign autographs, Teton County is also well represented!!

I am preparing for a busy summer, and I’m getting ready to head to the Elizabeth Stampede in Elizabeth, Colorado next weekend! Best Wishes!

God Bless,

Erin Heffron

Miss Rodeo Wyoming 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment